AMD Xilinix Merger: What Does It Mean for the Future of Computing?

June 2022

For many years, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) and Xilinx have built their reputations in the computing industry. AMD is known for its processors, graphics, and other computer and server hardware. Meanwhile, Xilinx has gained popularity for its innovative and programmable silicon that has been used across many industries.

With the merger of these two companies completed in 2022, many tech professionals are speculating on what new company will look like and what kind of impact it will have on the computing industry.

More About the Merger

The AMD-Xilinx merger, reportedly valued at a whopping $35 billion, with the new company having an estimated total valuation exceeding $130 billion. With this merger, it is expected that AMD will be able to significantly diversify its product offerings, allowing the company to grow even larger as a leading player in the computer hardware sector. This is especially true when you consider that Xilinx invented field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) that have led to many innovative processing and computing technologies.

Stockholders from both companies met back in April 2021 to discuss specifics and voted unanimously to agree to the merger. Once the merger was completed, AMD stockholders received a 74 percent stake in the new company, with existing Xilinx shareholders retaining control of the remaining 26 percent.

What Could This Mean for the Computing Industry?

Both AMD and Xilinx are known for their innovative and state-of-the-art computing products and technologies. Together, these companies create an industry powerhouse – the likes of which the industry has perhaps never seen before. With AMD’s equipment having access to Xilinx’s FPGAs and other technologies, the possibilities for future innovations are truly limitless. Only time will tell the impact the AMD Xilinx merger will have on the computing industry, but it is sure to be significant.

More than likely, we will see new technology and AMD equipment emerge from this new company. Computer brands and data centers will be able to take advantage of this new technology to deliver faster speeds, more reliable connections, and other lucrative features to clients.

Get the Best Hardware With a Dedicated Server

The AMD Xilinx merger has been long-anticipated and is now a reality in 2022. Once it does, many will be impatiently waiting to see what kinds of new equipment and technology are announced. If you’re looking to stay up-to-date on the latest and greatest in server hardware and technology, ReliableSite has you covered. We take great pride in maintaining the best AMD server equipment and other high-end computing hardware that you can rely on 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Interested in learning more about our dedicated server offerings? Explore our dedicated hosting plans on our website or contact us directly for help choosing the option that is best suited for your needs and budget.